Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 4 - So Time Doesn't Exist (or something like that)

The first three days at the MTC were without a doubt the longest days of my life. They felt like weeks. Now as I approach my month mark, time is getting weirder. Every day is both an eternity and the blink of an eye. When I look back to last Tuesday, I can't even believe that what feels like a lifetime ago was only a week.

Last Tuesday's devotional was given by Elder Hallstrom, I sang in the Choir "Hurrah for Israel". Something that I thought of during his talk though was, We are who we want to be. We don't have to look behind us to find who we are, but should instead look ahead. Who do we want to be, what are we willing to become? That is who we are. In this world Jesus Christ is our example, Look unto Christ, Try to be like Jesus. D&C 6:35-37: 
 35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.
Through the atonement of Christ we can change our natures, and be forgiven of our sins
 36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
Look to Christ as your example
 37 Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful,keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen.
Be faithful and keep His commandments
God Has a plan for us That I know. I was split from my triple companionship and am now companions with Elder Christensen, he's going to Thailand. This is a fantastic opportunity! and a significant change. 



Dad's note: (I managed to catch him before his computer time was up, but while waiting I thought "Perhaps Sister Hansen has posted information which might explain." Thank you, Sister Hansen.)


What???!!?!! You can't just drop a bomb like that with no additional info. Swapping companions in the MTC is unusual. But swapping to be with someone not in your language group ... I've never heard of.
Also, sister Bringhurst said she saw you (your back as you walked away) while dropping off Austin. Did you get to be his host?


Response: Elder Christensen's companions were in a group of old Thai Missionaries that left on Monday, and because I was in a 3 person companionship, the Branch president reassigned me to be his new companion. He's from Wyoming.
Also I've seen Elder Bringhurst several times, but missed hosting him by just a couple of minutes.


==========

Still Dad's note: I hope the Hansen's don't mind, but I'm going to "borrow" a portion from Sister Hansen's blog this week. jenniferhansenmongolia.blogspot.com

"We also had to say goodbye to our dear friend's the Thai's. About half our zone did their time and said "so-long" to the MTC at 2:30 Monday morning. It was so sad and exciting at the same time, and weird to think that that will be us in a few short weeks. We will be getting a new delivery of about 10 Thai missionaries, along with a Malay and an Indonesian within the next month. So now it's our job to welcome them and show them the ropes of the MTC, instead of the other way around! Our zone is very different and special because each district is learning such a difficult language. Our zone consists of all the weird Asian languages that people don't really ever think of, like Cambodian, Laotian, Vietnamese, Malay, etc. We really all lean on each other for support and have become very close friends.

This is something from like my first week at the MTC that I forgot to tell you about. When Neil L. Anderson was here speaking at a devotional, he was telling about the " A Savior Is Born" campaign video that was shared worldwide. He told us that the video was viewed by 54.5 million people. The language it was most viewed in was Spanish, at 28 million views. He went on to list the other highest ranking languages the video was viewed at. Would anyone ever guess that the 5th language most viewed was Mongolian!! What. My companion turned to me and said "Our people are prepared!!" Tender mercies. I don't know how that is even possible, where there are only 3 million people total in Mongolia, and probably less than half have access to the internet. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

On the topic of Mongolia, the people have been praying fervently for a new stake in Mongolia. There is currently only one, but they are so close to having another, and this is very important to the church and the people. If there is 2 or 3 more stakes, it may even be a possibility for a temple to be built someday. Can you imagine all the blessings this would bring to that country? God already has a very special place in his heart for Mongolia."

No comments:

Post a Comment