Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Week 8 - Sister Tuesday

The English training has been going very well. I'm the slowest at our two week, online course, but I find  the material really fascinating and helpful in understanding Mongolian as well as just really good teaching and learning methods and suggestions. Oh well, I will finish it on time. Its helped my learning Mongolian too! A vocab memorization suggestion was to making picture flashcards with the foreign word on one side and a descriptive picture on the back. This really is helpful, because in order to draw a picture of something like Service you have to really think about the concept of the word, then your mind associates the Foreign word with the concept rather than just the Native word. 

I think that this works better than Mongolian to English flashcards, because instead of Mongolian word -> English word -> Concept, it cuts out the English part, also I'm really proud of my stick figure drawings :) 
On Sunday on our way back from walking to the temple Elder Garcia said that he thought he saw a Sister Tuesday behind us. We slowed up our pace and sure enough on this sister's name-tag was Sister Myagmar or Мягмар which is the Mongolian name for Tuesday and so I turned to her and said "Sister Myagmar?" She looked up like anyone does when they hear their name, then I said "Like Tuesday" and her face lit up as she recognized that I knew what Tuesday was in Mongolian and then looked at my tag and recognized her native language! Anyway, She is going to the Temple Square mission, and it was the most exciting thing to be able to use what I know and to see that I actually do understand quite a bit (relatively). It really made her day too to get to speak her language and think about home.

On Sunday I played the cello for sacrament meeting, Consider the lilies of the field, and was accompanied by Sister Hansen. It was really fun to play again. I realized that I haven't actually performed a solo for a group ever, so I actually got really nervous. But it ended up being really good and I had a fun time sharing my talent. I also realized that I have been playing the cello for just about 10 years. Thanks for getting me lessons and having me keep playing, it really is a blessing in my life.

Ахлагч Jonathan Wilding
 Alma 42:4 "And thus we see, that there was a time granted unto man to repent, yea, a probationary time, a time to repent and serve God." This life is a time to change ourselves and become like God by following His Son Jesus Christ. We can change because of the atonement of Jesus Christ and be forgiven of past mistakes or misdeeds, sins and shortcomings. Through the atonement of Christ we can be strengthened through our trials and hardships. He knows all of our pains and all of our sorrows, and if we give them to Him, He will take them. Repent and Turn to God and you can receive the peace that comes from forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment